Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Optimus Prime -Transformers Animated Voyager Class



Transformers Animated is actually a heck of a good show. After Michael Bay's movie came out, the Transformers franchise reached a level of popularity not seen since the 1980's. Soon after the first live-action movie came out, Transformers Animated was announced. At first I was turned off by the look of the show as it was done in the same style as the Teen Titans. Still, after a few years of being disappointed by TF toys and not liking the style of the live action movie toys, I saw this Optimus Prime sitting on the shelf at Toys R Us. Figuring that Teen Titan Prime was better than no Prime and needing to scratch my robot itch, I caved and bought it. All I can say is once I got Optimus out of the box, I was pleasantly surprised. The TF Animated line of toys really recaptures the fun of the Generation 1 toys with transformations that don't take 30 steps and an engineering degree.



Optimus Prime: Dancing or fighting? We may never know.
 This toy really restarted my interest in TF, and I've picked up more from the Animated line here and there. Other than the upcoming Transformers United toy line a lot of the Takara/Hasbro TF stuff is just kind of bleh to me. I even ended up watching the show and found it to actually be a lot of fun. It has a ton of references and nods to Generation 1 for old fogeys like me while being fresh and new in presenting us with a younger Optimus Prime who isn't the infallible robot Jesus he is in every other incarnation. Also, despite being a severed head for the whole first season, Megatron is arguably more threatening than he ever was back in 80's. I definitely recommend checking out a few episodes for TF fans.

The toyline has 3 main levels: Deluxe, Voyager, and Leader. They rise in price and complexity from the simpler Deluxe toys to the pricier Leader class. Still, even on the internet, Leader class toys like Ultra Magnus can be had for around 50 bucks, so they're not going to break your bank account. Optimus Prime here is from the Voyager class.

His robot mode is nice and clean and remarkably poseable.

Not pictured: The remarkable poseability, but it's there I swear!

He retains enough of his classic look to appeal to a G1 fan like me, but little things like his helmet looking like a cadet cap make him seem younger than other incarnations.

There is a tab on the back of his neck that raises and lowers his face plate. His eyes also feature a light piping gimmick. Nice!


His face is set in a permanent "I have to use the bathroom" frown.

Now there's the Optimus Prime we all know and love.
The windows are blue translucent plastic and feature some detail inside.

Optimus and his crew of Autobots are a support and maintenance team, even though he himself was a star recruit before a scandal got him kicked out of the military academy. Optimus Prime's weapons are tools more than anything else, as he primarily carries equipment for fighting fires. He comes equipped with an axe and a water cannon. Both weapons fit onto his vehicle mode so there are no parts laying around waiting to get lost. Another gimmick is that the water cannon is a working (tiny) squirt gun, just fill it with some water and depress the barrel.



Transformation is easy, but not dumbed down. That's a major plus for me, because some of the new Transformers are just an absolute pain in the ass to transform. Plus they look like crap afterwards.

You ever half-transform a Transformer and then stop and play U2's "Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of"? No, you say...uh...me neither, only weirdos do that, amirite?!
 Prime in his truck mode. I like it a lot, he looks compact but has a good substantial feel.





In the end, I definitely recommend this toy. I know the look might not appeal to a lot of people and I know how opinionated TF fans can be about the various shows in the franchise *cough*Beast Wars*cough*. Still, take a chance on something from the TF Animated line, they're durable enough to survive a drop or excited little kids, but also look good on a shelf. The transformations are fun, easy enough for the younger set but involved enough for older fans like me to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment