Saturday, October 27, 2012

Halloween!

Eating lead...literally.

It's getting near Halloween time and this weekend I'll be attending a party a friend throws every year. This year, I'm dressing up as the Heart Break Kid, Shawn Michaels. Anyways, enough about that. I was at Toys 'R Us today just browsing and I saw these sweet Walking Dead toys! Check out some pics after the jump!
The Walking Dead is a huge phenomenon that airs on AMC. I'll admit I don't follow it religiously, but I catch an episode here or there when I can. Zombies are fun, and it seems like they aren't getting played out anytime soon. The best part about the zombie boom? Toys! With all the zombie related movies, comics, television shows out there, we are getting some great toys full of gory details.

I like to look at this and say, "Well, zombie."
The Walking Dead seems like the flagship zombie property right now and the toys are put out by McFarlane Toys. These two figures, Rick Grimes and the Well Zombie are from the second series by McFarlane toys and while series 1 didn't impress me, I kind of feel like getting all of series 2.

Gotta catch 'em all!
 Great stuff in series 2. Articulation is limited, especially from the waist down, with swivel cuts at the hips and that's it. Still, they look great and they are $14.99, about average for stuff like this nowadays. Each one comes with features. Rick has different hands to hold his revolver, rifle, and also his animal control leash on a pole that he uses on zombies.
Because the first thing you want to do is leash a zombie. Yeah, that seems like a good idea.

The look on Rick's face is a mix of cautious weariness and "I need to poop".
Nice weathering on the boots and pants.

Hmm, if I buy the nuts separately, I can save money and mix them at home.

Let the shoosting begin!
The paint and details are really good on both of these guys. The Well Zombie splits in half! He's got some disgusting guts inside. These probably aren't toys for the little ones, but teenagers and adults and gorehounds will get a kick out of these.

Somehow I don't think being a zombie is a big step down for this fella.

This guy is muffin topping hard.

Half the man he used to be.

Apparently zombies internal organs consist of 100% intestines.

He asked the barber to "Take a little off the top". Oops.

These two figures were definitely a pleasant surprise to me. Sure they aren't super articulated, but they got great detail and the gimmicks make sense and are fun. One thing I have to note is that they are a little finicky to get in a good standing position, which is weird considering how little articulation there is in the legs. I would think that they would stand better since they are basically half statue. Messing around with the arms helps balance the figures out, especially the Well Zombie because he's got a big old fat gut that pulls the center of gravity off a bit. One thing I don't get, and this is probably from not watching the show regularly is the Well Zombie came packed with an accessory I can't really describe. Maybe someone knows what it's supposed to be?
It kind of looks like a canned ham wrapped in twine. What the heck is it?

Anyways, if you like zombies, I'd recommend getting these. They are neat, display well, and I think the gimmicks included in series 2 make up for the lack of articulation. Good times all around! Happy Halloween!
During a zombie apocalypse, a man wears Wrangler Jeans. Wrangler. Real. Comfortable. Jeans.
New Austin Powers character. Zombie Fat Bastard.

No comments:

Post a Comment